Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Pursuit of happiness. (7th April, 2007)

This is an old piece of writing that I wrote while flying the South African Airlines to Jo’berg.

Please excuse me for abstract thoughts, because honestly, under the action of a good movie, solitude & good quality booze, I tend to get a little philosophical (or so my friends said).

“Pursuit”… of Happiness! It sounded like a never-ending journey to fulfillment & satisfaction. And it felt like we are all a part of the same journey.

Then my bubble memory burst another one, and so emerged my B-school tag line “Journey is the reward”. (btw, I am truly the perfect example of Bubble memory phenomenon). The connecting link between the movie title and this tag line happens to be “journey” or the “pursuit”. Now this journey needs to be understood, admired and loved, for it to manifest itself in the form of a reward. Else the whole thing just seems like some hopeless consolation after an unsuccessful attempt.

But how does one understand and enjoy the pursuit while still aiming at and working for higher goals.

It sound more like a contradiction whence I believed it should boil down to some kind of an analogy.

I am back to a confused state with lots of mixed up ideas and unanswered questions. I really don’t understand why so many theories collide and contradict each other. I write slower than I think, and maybe everyone does!! The rate of flow of thoughts is much faster than my capability of putting it on paper.

Ok, so most of us want to buy-out happiness. And whether it is possible or not, it sure is dream-able…. But is it possible to be happy if one does not “achieve” whatever one has set out to. One does try ones’ best. But if you don’t achieve, there lies an emptiness, a void, that keeps disturbing your peaceful equilibrium like a small soft soap bubble. Positive thinking, acceptance of facts, trying again and faith might take you to success, but until then there ain’t no respite.

Nothing seems to conquer “experience”. True realization comes only out of true experience. Rest are all theories, opinions or ideas. Without implementing them you never know which one’s true and which needs revision.

So does the Pursuit continue…. And Ever Shall.

*PS: This whole thing has nothing to do with the movie itself :). Whilst Will Smith & his kid were undoubtedly admirable and the direction of the movie was truly respectable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, debate or support the writing. What you truly felt is all that matters!